EarthPeople Media is a global community of practice and source of independent journalism for a sustainable economy. Our contributing writers include researchers, practitioners, and advocates exchanging perspectives on our changing world. We are currently accepting publication-ready articles including best practices, book excerpts, commentary, news, and essays on topics related to conservation, sustainability, social innovation, entrepreneurship, cultural change, health, and wellness.
BENEFITS OF PARTICIPATION
Contributing writers to EarthPeople Media:
- Demonstrate thought leadership by writing on relevant topics related to their subject matter expertise
- Promote and contextualize their work through storytelling
- Publish excerpts of their book(s) or research
- Expand their digital footprint and overall reach
Below are the style guidelines we’ll use when we edit your posts. Before submitting articles, please review the following:
- Establish your main idea and provide supporting evidence. Identify credible research and sources to bolster your arguments. Linking to these takes your post beyond the realm of pure opinion and gives it practical value.
- Integrate your unique voice into your post, and have your tone be conversational. At the same time, keep in mind that you’re also writing to showcase your knowledge as a thought leader, so don’t be overly casual.
- Provide links to other stories from credible news sites, including international, industry, and specialty sites.
- Review your draft multiple times, eliminating excess words such as adverbs and adjectives each time.
- Limit the use of parenthetical phrases.
- Find an image to accompany your post via Google Images (or your own photo library) and provide us with the link.
- If you are promoting your book, you are responsible for summarizing the content of your book into article form and making it publication-ready.
- Include a hyperlink to the relevant page any time you reference an article or a website, or make a factual assertion that requires evidence.
- Keep the length between 500 and 1,000 words. Greater length may be too long to hold a reader’s attention. If your post is especially long, it may take us longer to get to it, or we may tell you that it is not right for us.
- Capitalize the first letter of your title (as well as proper nouns). Clear, descriptive titles work better than cute ones. What would you enter into Google if you were trying to find this article? That’s usually the best way to determine your title.
- Italicize book titles, movie titles, newspaper titles (after “the”), magazine titles, television show names, play titles, etc.
- Place quotes around: book chapters, newspaper articles, magazine articles, TV episodes, poems, etc.
When you are ready, submit your article to: email@example.com
PUBLICIZING YOUR POSTS
If accepted, your article will appear on the EPM Knowledge Exchange and will also cycle through our Headlines section on our home page.
We encourage contributors to promote their pieces and distribute them to friends, family and peers. Many readers arrive at posts on EarthPeople Media via links passed on from friends and other sites. Here are a couple of ideas
Email lists: Send a short note with a link to your post to any lists you’re on — whether social organizations, extracurricular groups, or even your family/friends list. Encourage them to comment, and to share your post! Our experience shows that the more comments a post attracts, the better it does in generating clicks and more comments. Create a community around your post, and help it grow by starting with your own personal community.
Social media: Share your post via Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+ and other social media platforms.
Pitching to media. We do not require exclusives, so you are welcome to share your stories through other media outlets. However, we request that you reference EarthPeople Media as the original source of publication. Please request that the editor include a link to our site at the bottom of your article.
If you see a typo or an error in your post, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “TYPO” in the subject line, along with a link to the article in the body of the email and an explanation of the typo or problem.
You are independent. By submitting an article to us, you are an independent contractor, not an employee of EarthPeople Media. You agree that you are not entitled to, and do not expect, monetary or other compensation for the content that you submit. [ Read More ]
By submitting an article for publication on the EarthPeopleMedia.com website, you agree that the terms set out below, which may be updated from time to time, and apply to all articles that you submit to us. If you do not agree to any of these terms, please do not submit your posts.
Submit proper posts. You represent to us that any articles, photos and any other content you submit (1) is your original content or properly licensed content that you have the express right and permission to license to us; (2) does not infringe or violate any law, rule or regulation or the rights or intellectual property rights of any person or entity (or encourage anyone else to do so); (3) is not objectionable, inaccurate or inflammatory; and (4) is not obscene, defamatory, threatening, pornographic, harassing, hateful, or racially or ethnically offensive, (5) is not an advertisement or solicitation of business or contributions; or (6) is not otherwise against the interests of EarthPeople Media or our users as a whole. We have the right (but not the obligation) to not publish/remove any or all of your article/posts that fail to comply with the foregoing, or for any other reasons, at our sole discretion without notice to you.
Disclosure: In an effort to be as transparent with our readers as possible, EarthPeople Media contributors shall disclose any financial conflicts of interest related to the issue or a topic they are writing about. If a contributor receives payment or income from a company, organization, group, or individual with a financial stake in the issue he/she is weighing in on, that information shall be disclosed at the bottom of the applicable post. Moreover, contributors shall not submit posts that include links that are paid for in whole or in part by marketing firms.
Correct your errors. If your post contains a factual error, you must correct or retract it within 24 hours after notice. If you make substantive changes (including error corrections) after your post has been published, you must note this at the bottom of your post. This includes matters of fact, but not changes to spelling, grammar or style or minor editorial corrections. However, in the interest of transparency, you should note to readers that an earlier version of the post had an error that has been corrected. Note: if a correction/retraction is due to a legal complaint of defamation, then the correction/retraction must be posted in as prominent a location as the defamatory content.
No guarantees. EarthPeople Media provides a forum for your ideas and expression, but is made available to you “as is” without guarantee of any results based upon the publication of your post, is subject to changes and could temporarily or permanently be suspended without notice to you, and without guarantee that it will operate free of errors, viruses, bugs or service breakdowns.
You own your submissions, but we retain rights to use them. You own the copyright to your submitted content and you can post it anywhere else you wish. However, by submitting any content to EarthPeople Media (including text, videos, photographs or audio materials), you grant EarthPeople Media a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual license to exercise all rights under copyright law with respect to such content, which EarthPeople Media may use, publish and distribute (along with your name and identifying features) on its websites and other properties and those of its affiliates and business partners, as well as for marketing and promotional purposes, online or offline, in any medium and mode of delivery.
Complaints and Inquiries/Choice of law. If you violate any of the Contributor terms, or we receive an inquiry or complaint about your post, you agree that you are responsible, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless EarthPeople Media, and any of its parent companies, affiliates, employees, offices, and directors, for all resulting claims and liabilities. This agreement is governed by Texas law, and if we have a dispute about it, or about any content that you submit to us, you agree that venue for any such dispute shall be solely in any court of competent jurisdiction located in Dallas County, Texas. We may provide you notices about the EarthPeople Media Contributor Program and these terms by e-mail. These terms make up the entire agreement between you and us and cannot be changed unless EarthPeople Media agrees to it in writing.